Before the 16th century, what we only know about the Chatelet are its successive owners. Around 1520, a nobleman, René Gallebrun, moved to the Chatelet. He had the Chatelet, as we can see it today, built or rebuilt on an ancient medieval motte.
Its architecture is inspired by Renaissance motifs- including shells and pilasters- but is still related to the end of the Middle Ages with its guns, the grooves of the drawbridge, moats…
The Chapel, the oldest part, lies under an intersecting ribbed vault decorated with René Gallebrun’s coat of arms, a lion headed with 5 roses.
In René Gallebrun’s time, there were also a windmill to grind flour for the castle kitchen, and a timber-framed building.
For 300 years the Chatelet has been transmitted by women, mostly. It became a mere place of meeting for the hunt, but was preserved from alterations and reconstructions. Besides, in 1880, there was a project, which, fortunately, was never seen through.